The Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand, Indiana, were founded in 1867 by four young sisters who came from St. Walburg Monastery in Covington, Kentucky, in response to a request of the pastor at the Ferdinand parish for German-speaking sisters to teach the German immigrants who had settled in the Ferdinand area. Currently, our community members serve in Indiana, Kentucky, and Peru.
While education has been a primary ministry for our community since its beginning, our sisters minister in diverse ways including: teaching; serving in parishes; offering retreats; providing health care; counseling individuals; working with immigrant populations; and helping the homeless, poor, and those recovering from addictions.
Through our multifaceted spirituality and hospitality ministry, we offer retreats, personal enrichment programs, parish missions, religious music, spiritual direction, and facilitation services. On the monastery grounds, we operate Monastery Baked Goods, Monastery Gift Shop, and The Benedictine Hospitality Center, our guest facility. We also had one of our building renovated into 15 apartments so that we could offer affordable housing to seniors on our campus. Unlike other religious communities, Benedictines are not limited to engaging in one or two types of service; we are able to go wherever there is a need.
As we work with the people whom we encounter in our ministries and on a daily basis, we keep in mind our mission statement: “We, the Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand, Indiana, are monastic women seeking God through the Benedictine tradition of community life, prayer, hospitality, and service to others. By our life and work, we commit ourselves to be a presence of peace as we join our sisters and brothers in the common search for God.” Everything that we do focuses on being a presence of peace in a world that is wounded by violence, intolerance, and injustice.