Among the monastery’s original, official documents is this deed signed by Father Joseph Kundek, founder of Ferdinand, Indiana, and St. Ferdinand Parish and other towns and parishes in southern Indiana. The archives have in preservation all the monastery’s original deeds.
“In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.” Thus begins each handwritten vow document (in Latin, German, or English) of each sister who has professed her vows since 1871. Sister Xaveria Schroeder, O.S.B., (1844-1933) from Dinkelage, Oldenburg, Germany, whose written vows are shown in the original Latin and English translation, was a founding member of the Ferdinand Benedictine monastery. Sister Xavaria professed her temporary vows in 1867 at Covington, Kentucky, and her perpetual vows in 1871 at Ferdinand. She is the only founding member buried at Ferdinand.
Ferdinand Benedictines have published one biography and four history books which have told their story since 1867.
- Simon Brute De Remur (1931), which is the biography of Bishop Simon Brute, the first bishop of Vincennes, by Sister Salesia Godecker, O.S.B.
- Sommerfruchte (2005), the history of the first 31 years of the Ferdinand community originally written in German and translated into English by Ruth and Eberhard Reichmann. The author is unknown. Each publication is in both German and English.
- A Brief Historical Sketch of the Sisters of St. Benedict, Ferdinand, Indiana 1867-1938 (1938) by Sister Salesia Godecker, O.S.B.
- The Castle on the Hill (1967) tells the history of the first 100 years (1867-1967) of the Ferdinand Benedictines and is written by Sister Frederica Dudine, O.S.B.
- Christ Yesterday, Today, Forever (1967), is a centennial pictorial magazine 1867-1967 by Sister Mary Dominic Frederick, O.S.B., and Sister Rosa Lee Koch, O.S.B.
The necrology boards hanging in the hallway of the monastery memorialize every deceased member of the Ferdinand Sisters of St. Benedict. As the calligraphers change, a change of writing style can also be noted across the boards.
Clockwise from top left:
- An example of the writing style changes that can be seen across the necrology boards is shown.
- Sister Xaveria Schroeder was one of the four sisters who founded the monastery in Ferdinand and is the only one buried here.
- Sister Walburga Gerber was the first Sisters of St. Benedict member to die and, thus, is the first listed on the necrology board.
In the Main Repository of the monastery archives are preserved all deeds, official documents, and other materials which define monastery activities, traditions, and legacies.